25 September 2013

Parting Shots

For those of you who don't know, i am hopping on a flight to France this afternoon.  I'll be teaching English to French students until May, so i won't be in the states for a bit.  So i'll leave you with some parting shots.

One of my missions in life is to give life meaning to those around me.  And when you invest your heart in other people, it's tough to leave them behind because, as the Bible says, "where your treasure is there also will your heart be" (Mt. 6:21).  That verse is one of those 'perspective checkers' for me.  I like to come back to it every now and again to make sure my heart is chasing the right treasure map.


But, if we're being totally candid, i'd like to let y'all know that the following excerpt is (probably) my favorite (definitely in the top 5):



"If there is any encouragement in Christ, any solace in love, any participation in the Spirit, any compassion and mercy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, with the same love, united in heart, thinking one thing. Do nothing out of selfishness or out of vainglory; rather, humbly regard others as more important than yourselves, each looking out not for his own interests, but [also] everyone for those of others." - Philippians 2:1-4


It is clear and challenging: a plea for unity and a challenge for humility.

And in those words i find my daily challenge.  Sometimes i fail and sometimes i succeed, but i'll be damned if i give up the fight (literally).  

So, America, as i leave for France, let my cross also be yours.  And be encouraged that this is a worthy battle to fight, because in fighting i have found the merit of struggling.  It's not always beautiful or shiny, but it is well worth the work.  In fighting you escape the monotony of superfluousness, you dig in the dirt, you expose your core and you see yourself in the reality of reality.  



P.S.:  I'll be giving a more day-to-day (or week-to-week) account of my dealings over at wordpress. holla back.


No comments:

Post a Comment